Friday Morning Fire Linked To Wood Burning Stove

Friday, January 19, 2018
- photo by Battalion Chief Don Bowman
Chattanooga firefighters were dispatched to a duplex fire shortly after 7 a.m. on Friday, at 2601 Taylor Street.
 
Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the fire was in the "A" side of the duplex.
The occupants on both sides of the duplex got out safely. The firefighters located the fire in the floor underneath a woodburning stove. It took them less than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire.  

Chief Bowman ruled the cause of the fire as accidental, saying the woodburning stove was improperly installed and was not being monitored properly. The fire was contained to one room, with the dollar loss estimated at $2,000. 

Here are some safety tips related to wood burning stoves and fireplaces:

- Use a metal or glass fireplace screen to keep sparks from hitting nearby carpets or furniture. 
- Be sure the fireplace or stove is installed properly. Wood stoves should have adequate clearance (3 feet) from combustible surfaces and proper floor support and protection.
- Wood stoves should be of good quality, solid construction, and design, and should be evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
The stove should be burned hot twice a day for 15-30 minutes to reduce the amount of creosote buildup.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary, especially if it has not been used for some time.
- Don't use excessive amounts of paper to build fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
- Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite these materials.
- Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out. Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
If synthetic logs are used, follow the directions on the package. Never break a synthetic log apart to quicken the fire or use more than one log at a time. They often burn unevenly, releasing higher levels of carbon monoxide.
Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.
Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
Allow fireplace and wood stove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal ash bucket or container.
Keep or maintain a 3 foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.
Inspect and maintain heating equipment regularly for safety. 
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
For the best protection, interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms to avoid risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. 



Several Candidates Vying For Rhea County Register Of Deeds After Gladys Best Retires After 56 Years

Several candidates are in the race for register of deeds in Rhea County after Gladys Best finally decided to hang it up.   Ms. Best is retiring after 56 years in the post.   Among the candidates is her deputy, Teresa Hulgan. Also running in the Republican primary in May will be Diane "Dicy" Brown, Caroline Housley, Adam Hurst and James Nevans. ... (click for more)

Latest Hamilton County Jail Booking Report

Here is the latest jail booking report from Hamilton County: ADAMS, RHONDA DALE  APT B 7602 NOAH REID RD CHATTANOOGA, 37416  Age at Arrest: 48 years old Arresting Agency: Hamilton County THEFT OVER $1,000 --- BARHAM, KENNADY ELISABETH  3131 MOUNTAIN CREEK ROAD APT 14B2 CHATTANOOGA, 37415  Age at Arrest: 21 years old Arresting Agency: Chattanooga ... (click for more)

MLK Boulevard TIF Is A Public Scam From People You Should be Able To Trust

TIFs (Tax Incremental Financing) were created to allow cities to do projects they cannot afford.  A TIF project also allows various private construction costs to be subsidized by sequestered  future  property taxes that normally would go into the general fund for running a city. It’s credit card spending with a new fancy name. Politicians love it because it sounds ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: One Principal’s Reaction

On the morning after the mass shooting in Florida last week, a 17-year-old at Ledyard High School in Connecticut made an offhand comment during his first period class, “I could buy an AR-15.” At that, all the teachers panicked. Really. The school was soon so rattled by the comment the principal called the cops. And those five words got the child shackled, taken into custody, and ... (click for more)

Ware, Raiders Light Up Walker Valley, 81-36, To Win 5-3A Title

CLEVELAND, Tenn. – After one quarter, Cleveland needed to get junior workhorse Dionte Ware “involved” in the offense during Tuesday’s District 5-3A tournament championship game against Walker Valley. After scoring zero first-quarter points, Ware showed some life with six points in the second period, but he wasn’t yet weaponized. At halftime, Cleveland coaches addressed ... (click for more)

Signal Mountain Sweeps 6-AA Tournament Titles

The third time was the charm for the Signal Mountain boys, but not so for the Red Bank girls. The second-seeded Eagles avenged two regular-season losses to Tyner on Tuesday night at Howard’s Henry Bowles Gymnasium to win their first District 6-AA championship by a 46-40 final. The second-seeded Lionettes were facing the top-seeded Signal Mountain Lady Eagles.   The third ... (click for more)